Thursday, January 04, 2007

Application (pt 2) - Applying in 2007

What makes application quite challenging is that we have to get specific. But how do we get from a general principle derived from an Old Testament text to a specific application for our lives?

Well, like good observation and interpretation, we have to ask questions. People have suggested different lines of questioning. One of the most popular is using the following list:

  • is there a command for me to obey?
  • is there a promise for me to claim?

  • is there an example for me to follow? (though we need to be careful with this one!)

  • is there a sin to avoid or confess?

  • is there a reason for thanksgiving or praise?

  • what does this passage teach me about God, Jesus, myself or others - and what difference does it make?

Another approach which I tend to use is borrowed from Bryan Chappel (Christ-Centred Preaching). He helps us get specific with five questions:

1. WHAT do I need to do/believe in response to this text?

2. WHERE might I need to apply this truth?

3. WHO most needs to hear this text? (NB. remember that application should not only relate to you - we should also be able to relate the text to the world around us)

4. WHEN might I next apply the principle?

5. HOW can I put this truth into practice? And, what might
be the challenges in doing so?

In some cases, it can be helpful to add a sixth question which deals with motivation:

6. WHY should I obey this principle?

Usually as I go through this list, I also fill in Mark Dever's application grid (sample; blank), which I find a great boon in helping me broaden application beyond my little self.

Colin

No comments:

Calendar